Your dog loves for you to give them treats. However, not all treats available on the market have your dog’s health in mind. Many contain fillers that may not be good for them including salt and sugar designed to enhance the flavor.
Dogs feel like they are a part of your family so they like to eats certain foods you eat. Snacks made at home give you the assurance that what they eat is quality. Here are some ideas that are good for your dog and ones they will enjoy:
- Raw Carrots – they also help to clean the teeth while your dog is chewing them.
- Peanut Butter – best go “all-natural” so there is no salt or sugar.
- Berries – Blueberries, raspberries, blackberries. This snack can be combined with a game of catch, but do not feed too many at one time.
- Scrambled Eggs – without seasoning. Go free-range and organic eggs if possible. Great for their coats.
- Fresh Raw Green Beans – right out of the garden or fresh from the market. Do not use canned as they are full of added salt.
- Homemade Sweet Potato Chips – peel, slice, and dehydrate in the oven. Do not season. The fiber aids digestion.
- Fresh Apple Chunks – this is a naturally sweet treat. Be sure to core and remove the seeds.
- Popcorn – Be sure that it is air-popped without oils, sugars, or salt. Good for a movie night with the pooch.
- Rice – it can calm an upset stomach. Dogs will go for rice flavored with a no-salt broth.
- Cooked Oatmeal – this treat will also help a queasy tummy and help regulate bowel movements.
Okay, so you still want to know what commercial treats are available that are good for your dog. Here is a rated list of the best treats you can purchase from the store or online:
- Rocco & Roxie Jerky Sticks – made in the USA with no fillers
- Greenies – focused on healthy teeth
- Zuke’s Mini Natural – be sure to keep them sealed properly or that will dry out.
- Newmans Own Treats – may need two treats for larger dogs due to size.
- Plato Pet Treats – attractive to pet owners with dogs that have a sensitive digestive system.
- Blue Buffalo Wilderness Treats – great for dogs that need high protein treats.
All of these commercial treats are all-natural with no added preservatives or fillers. Make sure that you only feed your pet foods that are good for them and what they like to eat.